Sunday, October 15, 2006

The ‘Guard heart from stone’ principle - Etymology and introduction

In looking back on (and discussing) the reflective surface that is the Treatise, me and Mr. Libel have found (and dealt with) odd bits of curiosa regarding the hazardous process of communication. Besides flirting with postmodernism and exploring mind-altering substances, we are always trying to embark from the most constructive of premises. Despite our continuous and valiant strife to cleanse the cumbersome and ineffective way of conveying information from unnecessary interfering agents, we have encountered misunderstandings - and will undoubtedly continue to do so. This is no setback, mind you. We refuse to be dejected. When one chooses to live life in reality, reality must be faced squarely (and oftentimes kicked in the nuts for bad behavior). Consequently, we take every precious opportunity to learn from past experiences. Confusion, to a certain degree, will always arise whenever humans are involved, and few subjects are as prone to misconception and multiple interpretations as idioms.
Enter ‘Guard heart from stone’.

The term is loosely recollected1 from a series of books by Terry Goodkind. In one of them, the main character (Oafy-Country-Boy-Turned-Saviour-By-Questionable-Lack-Of-Originalty-By-The-Author) is about to face a rapid assimilation of immense knowledge that, presumably, will paralyze and force him into extreme detachment from currently dear-held beliefs and motivating emotions. Before departing, he is asked to heed one final piece of advice: “Ward left out. Ward right in. Guard your heart from stone”.

I believe I first used those words - shortened by my memory to only ‘Guard heart from stone’ - when trying to describe one of the paths that were available to me in dealing with high levels of female-induced emotional distress2.
I erroneously made it into a binary choice of either coping with it or shutting down emotionally, but have since then realized that few things are discrete enough to be properly pigeonholed by conventional means. It is with pride that I now sort my information into significantly larger holes that are not just black or white, but contain various shades of gray too.

My definition of ‘Guard heart from stone’ was taken to mean something like “Detachment is not a valid option, since down that path lies the gate to the cold, barren wastelands of callousness and rancor. Only cowards dwell there.
     Now, imagine my surprise when Mr. Libel explained his interpretation of my noble approach with an analogy that went something like this3:
Like… Image your heart… There are these small stones flying and they’re attacking it, piercing it... They’re the things that make you tick… Something-something.
     Alas, my memory fails me here, but I assume that what Mr. Libel meant was that you should know yourself good enough to recognize what makes you tick.

I believe that he himself will make a statement regarding the ‘Guard heart from stone’ principle. His post may also contain proper amounts of eschatology. Or was that in upcoming acts of our ongoing ‘Tale of a Secretary’? Ah, the suspense.


1 I don’t read books, I devour them.
2 Also known as ‘heartache’.
3 I shan’t miss an opportunity to libel Libel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home